Date: 6th November 2010 at 11:33pm
Written by:

Two goals from set pieces were enough for Bury to send a lacklustre City crashing out of the FA Cup.

In a game littered with miss placed passes and niggling fouls, Effe Sojde`s powerful header and Tom Lees` low drive proved decisive to ensure Bury`s relatively comfortable progression through to round 2.

City were sent an early warning signal when Andy Hawarth Let fly with a spectacular long range effort that Artur Krysiak did well to tip on to the post.

At the other en City could only muster half chances as Liam Sercombe, Richard Logan and David Noble all blazed shots wide from difficult positions.

City were looking comfortable at 0-0 until Richard Duffy was penalised for a body check by the corner flag.

From the resulting free-kick Mike Jones` Centre was nodded back across Krysiak by the unmarked Sodje to nestle in the far corner for the opening goal as City found themselves trailing to a goal from a corner for the third game running.

The goal seemed to knock City’s confidence as Bury began to construct regular attacks causing problems down both flanks.

The hosts could have double their lead immediately if Ryan Lowe`s finish had matched his neat turn in the box but he dragged hi effort a fraction wide.

City could have few complaints at going into the break a goal down as their occasional ventures forward lacked the quality to trouble Bury`s backline.

Encouraged by a vocal travelling support City began the second half with much more urgency and intent.

Sercombe sent in a cross that flicked the cross bar then minutes later the energetic midfielder almost brought City level when his spectacular long range dipping volley was acrobatically tipped over.

City forced several corners, none of which produced the goal they were craving as Bury sternly protected their slender advantage.

An advantage which they then went and doubled ten minutes into the second half, against the run of play.

A deep corner was helped back into a central position by Sodje and Lees Was allowed far too much time to steady himself and drill the ball home as a set piece once again proved City`s undoing.

aul Tisdale decided to make a triple change in a bid to get his side back into the tie, introducing Ryan Harley and the experienced striking duo of Marcus Stewart and Jamie Cureton at the expense of Noble, Logan and Daniel Nardiello.

The changes didn`t have the impact City were looking for though. Stewart was involved in some good work coming in deep positions to pick the ball up but it meant that Cureton cut a lone figure up front as he struggled to free himself of the attention of the Bury defenders.

The afternoon could of got worse for City as several low crosses flashed across their six yard box as gaps began to appear in City`s beleaguered backline.

Troy Archibald-Henville was thrown forward in one last attempt to salvage anything from the game but he headed over whilst under pressure in stoppage time as City bowed out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle with a whimper.

City: Krysiak, Duffy, Archibald-Henville, B Jones, Tully, Golbourne, Sercombe, Dunne, Noble (Harley), Nardiello (Cureton), Logan (Stewart)